Volunteer Program Online Submission Form
Get involved by donating two days as a volunteer and receive
TWO COMPLIMENTARY DAYS OF CONVENTION ACCESS!
We encourage you to apply early!
Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
BIO International Convention: San Diego, June 19-22, 2017
The BIO International Convention is one of the most prestigious conventions in the biotechnology and pharma industry. Each year it attracts over 15,000 attendees from around the world. The organization and execution of this convention requires the work of hundreds of people, and the volunteers are one of the essential elements in ensuring the success of this event.
Complete and submit the volunteer application by May 29, 2017. There are a limited number of volunteer opportunities and first choice volunteer days or positions are not guaranteed. Available volunteer positions are allocated once the online application is completed (including reference verification).
NOTE: Plan to arrive in San Diego to attend a mandatory orientation on
(Saturday, June 17, 2017 or Sunday, June 18, 2017).
Plan to depart the Convention no earlier than
Thursday, June 22, 2017 after 3:00 pm.
Application deadline: May 29, 2017
Volunteers for the 2017 BIO International Convention must meet at least one of the following eligibility criteria and must be 21 years of age or older:
- Enrolled as either a full-time or part-time student at an accredited college with a demonstrated interest in the life science or biotechnology sectors, as either a graduate or undergraduate.
- Currently working as an intern, either paid or volunteer, for a fixed term, with a life science or biotechnology organization.
- Not currently employed in the life science or biotechnology sectors but actively involved or seeking employment in these sectors.
- Employed part-time or full-time in the life science or biotechnology sectors.
The Volunteer Program at the BIO International Convention makes the event very successful each year. However, due to the nature of volunteering in general, a flexible schedule and the ability and willingness to do various tasks is required. Preferred work days, schedules and/or assignments cannot be guaranteed. Volunteers will not be permitted to pay the BIO Business Forum Partnering fee in order to access the BIO Business Forum area on their "off" days. Please consider these factors before submitting your application to volunteer.
- Eligible volunteers will receive two complimentary days during the Convention in exchange for donating two days as volunteer.
NOTE: In most instances you must volunteer for one day first, before you receive a free day at the Convention.
- Food and beverage will be provided during hours of service, including breakfast and lunch.
- All volunteers will be given a volunteer shirt to wear and keep following the event.
- Each volunteer will have access to one of the following evening receptions on Monday, June 19 or Wednesday, June 21.
Download Volunteer Program Information & Guidelines (pdf)
- All applicants will go through a screening process. In this process your credentials will be verified, including contact with your employer/reference.
- Applicants should use a 2017 BIO International Convention committee member, BIO staff member or a BIO member company as a reference. (If these do not apply, a corporate reference may be used).
- Students must be enrolled in an accredited college with a demonstrated interest in life sciences and must provide two references. (An academic reference, i.e. a professor or advisor, in addition to a Convention committee member, BIO staff member or BIO Member Company. If these do not apply, a corporate reference may be used).
- All applicants must be at least 21 years of age to participate in the program. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Preference will be given to applicants who work within the life science sector (or biotechnology industry).
- Some volunteer positions require 6:30 am start times.
- Some volunteer shifts are 10 hours in length.
- Some volunteer positions require working on the weekend.
- Most volunteer positions require long hours of standing.
- Most volunteer positions require the ability to communicate verbally with Convention attendees.
- Most volunteer positions require the ability to listen effectively to Convention attendees to answer their questions.
- Eligible applications will be evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Eligible applicants will receive email notifications at the email address you provided on your volunteer application. Please adjust your spam filter to receive any message from firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
- Eligible applicants will be notified via email beginning May 2017 if your application has been accepted, and an email outlining your assignment will be sent June 2017.
All eligible volunteers must attend one orientation prior to the start of Convention. The date, time and location of the orientation will be announced in June 2017.
NOTE: Volunteer orientation is MANDATORY, details regarding volunteer assignments will be provided. Eligible volunteers who do not attend an orientation will not be allowed to participate in the Convention as a volunteer. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
Volunteers must be able to cover their own transportation to and from the Convention and their daily meal expenses (on complimentary days). Volunteers must be able to cover their own lodging during the Convention.
If an unforeseen circumstance arises and you need to cancel your volunteer commitment, please contact BIO no later than May 1, 2017. This will ensure adequate time to find a replacement and will keep us from turning away potential volunteers.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We are grateful for your willingness to help us serve the attendees of the 2017 BIO International Convention.
Complete the BIO International Convention Volunteer Application!